Sunday, September 14, 2008

The concert for Obama was awesome...

This past Friday night, September 12, I went to National Anthem: Classical Musicians Unite to Elect Barack Obama, at Jordan Hall. Put on by David Kravitz and Charles Blandy-- not only local singers, but apparently also political bloggers at www.bluemassgroup.com-- the concert was amazing: three and a half hours of music from an array of local musicians, all of it really fantastic. Considering I got in for $20, and that all that money was going to the Obama campaign directly, I've never gone to concert that was a better value. Highlights for me personally: Krista River and Lisa Saffer doing the duet from La Incoronazione di Poppea, the MarNi Duo playing selections from Porgy and Bess (OK, who WERE they? I'd never heard of them, but I will absolutely be looking for them around town from now on), and "Soave sia il vento" from Cosi fan tutte, sung by Amanda Forsythe, Majie Zeller, and David Kravitz. Truly, though, every performer seemed to have put their heart into the night, and all the music was really stunning.

At the beginning of the night, they announced that they'd raised over $50,000 for Obama, and I'm not surprised-- the hall appeared to be completely sold out! I saw lots of singers and board members from Coro in the crowd, and a lot of the performers have worked with Coro before-- it was fabulous to see them again donating their performances for such an important cause.

Check out www.obamaconcert.com if you're curious about the rest of the roster.

No comments: